Beef pot roast with carrots and onions. Perfect on a cold winter day!
Pot RoastBeef pot roast with carrots and onions. Perfect on a cold winter day!
Boneless chuck roast (well-marbled)
Onions, large-sized, thickly sliced
Carrots, peeled and chopped
- Make sure the beef is room temperature. Generously rub salt and pepper all over the roast.
- Pre-heat the oven to 275 degrees.
- In a thick-bottomed covered pot that can go in the oven (i.e. Le Creuset or dutch oven), add 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high. Sear the roast on high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the roast when nicely browned. Set aside on a plate to rest.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot. Then add the onions and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic to the pot. Cook for another 3 or 4 minutes until the vegetables are browned. Remove the vegetables from the pot and set aside.
- Deglaze the pot with the cup of red wine over high heat for about a minute. Scrape the bottom of the pan and mix.
- Add the roast and vegetables back to the pot. The pour in the beef broth, add the bay leaves, and then cover the pot. Bring to a simmer. Remove the pot from the stove and place it in the oven. Cook at 275 degrees for 4 hours, until the meat is tender.